Thursday, November 11, 2010

Grown-up Christmas List

I'm not big on gifts.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't NOT like gifts (I will gladly take a gift from anyone who wishes to give me one, thanks) but I just don't think they are always necessary or expected especially if it's something I don't really need. And call me cynical but I think an awful lot of gifts are given that aren't really necessary, but obligatory.

Christmas is the KING of obligatory gift-giving. Look, I love Christmas as much as the next person, and a part of the reason I love it is the gift-giving. But I really don't understand the enormous commerciality that has built up around the holiday. It's shocking to me sometimes. I mean, sure we all need stuff and it's always nice to receive new things (not out of our own pocket) and to give new things to others, but I just don't see the need to get and give LOADS of stuff.

Sometimes less is more, and less is also sometimes more personal.

Sure, when I was a kid more was better. But now that I'm older and (arguably) wiser, it's not so much about quantity as quality - I would rather receive two gifts that I really need and love than 20 gifts that are...meh. Same with giving - I like to take time to really think about what my loved ones would like and use rather than just picking up the first thing I see within my price range. Speaking of price range, I try and keep the cost reasonable - you can get perfectly lovely and unique gifts that aren't fancy and cost as much as a Range Rover. More to that I don't buy gifts for every person I've ever met in my entire life, only those that are closest to me, namely my mom, sister, brothers (though we usually give them "family" gifts from the three of us), and my two best friends.

It sounds cheesy, but the most important thing to me about the holidays is the spirit. It's about spending time with family and friends, going to and singing in holiday concerts, eating yummy meals, sitting by the fire with a good book and a hot drink (even if it is only one of those fake DVD fires that cost $5 at Walmart), skating and sledding, perusing craft fairs and taking house tours on the South Shore, listening to Christmas songs on loop, catching up with friends and acquaintences, doing good deeds (like donating to charity), and just generally relaxing and being grateful.

Though I have to be honest, I would be rather thrilled to find this little gem under my tree this year :)
Home-brewed lattes and cappuccinos?! Hells, ya!

5 comments:

Allison said...

I know what you mean! I asked my mom to pay for an art class for me. I just don't have room to store more stuff!

Maria said...

That coffee machine looks sweet! I found your blog via shewrites and was compelled to bookmark.

My favourite part about the holiday season as well as eating amazing food with the family, is watching the crazy TV programmes that only make an appearance that time of year. There's always that Christmas movie that puts you in the right mood and I guess that and the Queen's speech have become big traditions back home.

Unfortunately I left my family overseas but get to experience my first one with my boyfriend's family - should be interesting!

Unknown said...

Allison - art classes are a great idea for a gift! You get so much enjoyment out of things like that and you're right, they don't take up space. God, I have so much STUFF I just don't need anymore.

Silvii - thanks for the bookmark! Always nice to get new readers. I love watching crazy Christmas movies and stuff on tv too - Christmas Vacation is a personal fav - I've seen it a million times but it's still hilarious every time lol

paige said...

I agree with you on this. And now you've made me miss the espresso machine I had to leave across the ocean. *sigh*

It is on your bucket list to buy one - maybe a little Christmas pressy for yourself perhaps?

Bree said...

I'm asking for one big thing from my parents this year, I just don't need a tonne more stuff.
My parents got the Tassimo a few months ago and on the weekends I go home, I look forward to having my morning skinny latte ready in under a minute. It's fabulous.
If you collect Optimum points, keep an eye out at Shoppers Drug Mart because that's where my parents got theirs for $10!! It was a special, so they may have it on again!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading!