Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blog the Change for Animals

I'm not a pet blogger - I blog about many different things that I am interested in and inspired by, and animals/animal issues is just ONE of those things. Nor do I consider myself an "activist" in the traditional sense. However, there is a movement happening all over social media that I feel I have to be a part of and spread the word about: it's called 'Be the Change for Pets', and it was started by the amazing folks at BlogPaws, a pet/animal blogging network.

Yesterday, I posted on Facebook that I plan to participate in their July Challenge 'Dog Days of Summer' and document it with photos and posts on Blogger, Facebook and Twitter (as well as linking back to the rest of the participants so that they can track participation). I can't wait to tackle this!

This all fits together with Blog the Change for Animals (if you check my sidebar, you'll see I added their badge to let people know I'm taking part) and this blog posting and my participation in the BTC Challenge is my official contribution to the umbrella movement.

Through this blog, Facebook and Twitter I'm hereby inviting others in the Halifax area to join me in this challenge. My plan is to visit a chosen local shelter sometime between July 19th and 31st to donate a box of supplies and food for the animals housed there. I will be going shopping (with help from this list) sometime in the next week to pick up a few items for the box, and anyone who wishes to contribute a few more items to the box, or even a couple of bucks to put towards an item or two, please contact me through the above links, or by email at khumes186@hotmail.com. You can feel free to come with me when I go shopping, as well as to drop off the items to the shelter, or if you're strapped for time I can arrange to pick up items from you and add them to the box myself.

I would love to go on a spree and fill a gigantic truck full of supplies, but alas I'm on a tight budget and cannot afford to contribute as much as I would like. I also don't have as much time to give as I would like. However, with your help I can "flesh out" the donation a bit more, and at least spread a bit of word about this shelter and cause.

To give you all extra motivation to help me out - here is some information about the shelter I am supporting:

Bide Awhile is a No-Kill shelter, which means it is committed (as much as resources will allow) to finding homes and help for the animals it takes in while avoiding euthanasia at all costs.

Mission Statement
Rescuing and caring for unwanted and abandoned animals. Placing all our animals in suitable and caring homes. Providing an environment free from the threat of unwarranted euthanasia. Cultivating awareness, respect and appreciation for the animals whose world we share. Vigorously promoting spaying and neutering. Managing all our resources and contributions in a responsible manner.
 
Here are some of the other ways you can Help them out. I'm not one to get on a soap-box or to use this blog as a political forum, but animals and all of their issues are very close to my heart and since they don't have a voice of their own, it's up to animal-lovers like us to speak on their behalf. Please help me make my voice louder.
 
I mean, who could resist that face anyway?!

I should mention as an aside that my family has always adopted cats from this shelter, and we have had nothing but the best pets as a result! My mom's current cat, Lily, was a rescue from BA.

7 comments:

Marianne Pysh said...

Hi Kim-

Looks like we frequent many of the same circles- I just joined "She Writes" and am participating in the Blog the Change! I love your site & your writing, and can't wait to visit again!

Wiggles & Giggles
Lucy's Human
http://lucyshuman.blogspot.com

Stacy said...

Such a great effort you're making-- even donating a few supplies makes a huge difference! Thanks for sharing your story!

katherine/phetched said...

Thank you so much for participating in Blog the Change! This is such a great cause. We typically donate a little care package to our local shelter every Christmas, and it's rewarding 'cause we know every little bit counts. :)

Pup Fan said...

Great idea! I enjoyed reading your post. :)

Unknown said...

Katherine - what a great idea to donate a package every Christmas! It's a nice way to give back and spread some holiday cheer! Hmm will have to keep that in mind!

BtC4animals said...

You're so right, this movement to help animals is indeed sweeping the internet. It certainly inspired us to build BtC4animals.com - a conduit to serve more and more inspired people like you.

Thanks for taking part in Blog the Change!
Kim (and Amy)

Two Little Cavaliers said...

Stopping by with Be the Change for Animals. Thank you for all you do to help animals in need. Hope you will be able to visit us too.

Felissa, Davinia, and Indiana
www.twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading!