Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Give Back to Get Back

 Thanks to Walgreens for sponsoring my writing. Help Walgreens help others! Visit their Facebook page here to learn about their charitable partners and decide which cause Walgreens will donate to with a quick vote.
Found here
One of my favourite things to do in my spare time is to give back to my community. Sometimes this can be hard to fit into a busy schedule, but it is important to keep in mind that helping your community doesn't have to take a lot of time.

Also, giving back doesn't necessarily have to be done on a large scale. Most of us realistically cannot give that much, no matter how much we adjust our schedules. Something doesn't have to be big or earth-shattering to make a difference.

Do you want to get more involved in your community but are not sure where you should start? Think about these points:

1. Determine what exactly you have to give: Do you have any special skills that you could use to help some person or organization? e.g., Are you a web or IT guru? Perhaps you could offer help with web design or maintainence. Are you really great with kids or a particular subject? Think about offering babysitting or tutoring.

2. Make use of your existing network: Think about the people you interact with on a daily basis - e.g. family, friends, co-workers. Are they involved in a cause or is there a community project that is close to their hearts? Offer to help! Or maybe they know of a great project that is short on resources, or a particular person who needs some support.

3. Start small: It can be easy to bite off more than you can chew when you really want to help out. We can easily be overwhelmed by all the things that need support. But you are not Wonder Woman; you can only do so much and you can't solve every problem by yourself. Focus on one issue or one person to start, and set a "giving goal", e.g. I will commit 2 hours per week to this, or I will commit 3 hours every 2nd weekend - whatever works for you! You can always take on more later if you like, but it is unfair to commit to something only to back out later because you are overwhelmed.

I have participated in my community in many ways - I have volunteered at local events, served as the Editor of my local SPCA chapter newsletter, and I retweet/share any local causes or people that I think are doing great things. None of these things take a lot of my time, but I get back in satisfaction 10x what I put in.

When large, socially responsible companies, such as Walgreens, put time and money into giving back, it makes it easier for little ol' me to do it too.

Don't forget to help Walgreens help others! Visit their Facebook page here to learn about their charitable partners and decide which cause Walgreens will donate to with a quick vote. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading!