Monday, October 18, 2010

Manic Monday: Cat People

This is one of the funniest, truest articles I've read in a long time. And I really relate to it because I'm definitely a "crazy cat lady", I'm (almost) ashamed to admit. This is one of my favourite passages:


"Are there people who are completely insane about their dogs? Hordes. But cat people may as well have whiskers and tails themselves. That’s because their pets’ lack of social need taps straight into our worst fears as the human inhabitants of New York. Cats, after all, don’t have other cat friends. You can’t take them to the cat run. Cats and their owners are on a private, exclusive loop of affection. Thus cats have become symbolic of a community eschewed and a hyper-engagement with oneself. They represent the profound danger of growing so independent in New York that it’s not merely that you don’t need anyone — it’s that you don’t know how to need anyone.....
The upside to cat ownership is proximity to a sense of dignity, intelligence and lack of garish behavior. The downside is that a cat is something hidden, a secret that needs confessing as the doorknob turns. By the way, I’ve been to the doctor and it turns out … I have a cat."


Ahahah hilarious. Sloane Crosley is now one of my new favourite writers. You can check out her website to learn more about her and her writings or follow her on Twitter @askanyone

Cats are just the greatest, am I right?! Anyone?

3 comments:

paige said...

I certainly love mine. But I'm a dog person all the way and I love my two dogs best. :)

Unknown said...

Paige - I love dogs too, just love cats more hehe. Plan on having at least one of each someday :)

Kim Humes said...

Paige - I love dogs too, just love cats more hehe. Plan on having at least one of each someday :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading!