Thursday, December 15, 2011

Bouquets of Sharpened Pencils

Remember when I entered this contest to win $500 in books from Chronicle? Weeeeeell, alas I did not win. Again. What can I say - I'm not very lucky I guess.

Ah well, there's always next year! And congrats to the winner! Besides, that's not all they wrote because - as a thank you for participating in the promotion - Chronicle is giving a great discount on book orders:


up to 35% off + Free Ground Shipping
Enter HAULIDAYS at checkout

Go forth and purchase books at a discount! For some reason this statement makes me think of Joe Fox - "I sell cheap books! I do! So sue me". (completely off-topic but You've Got Mail is one of the cutest movies ever).

Speaking of books, I sorta found out about one of my big Christmas gifts a little early...


AHHHHH - that's right, baby. It's a Kobo Vox e-reader (for my American friends, this is basically the Canadian Kindle - the Canindle?). I just love the concept of these things - I love having hundreds of books and magazines and newspapers right at my fingertips with no wasteful piles of paper and ink (or sagging, space-sucking bookshelves). I take the bus every day and always have a book with me to read, so this thing will definitely get some use. Very handy for the morning commute.

Ok, so it's not really a surprise but my mom had to tell me I was getting it so she could make sure to get me the one I wanted. And this is my big gift - I find now that I'm no longer a kid (well, at least not in age) I am more interested in getting one main gift every Christmas than piles and piles of gifts. It's more about quality - i.e. getting one gift that will be really useful to me - than quantity - i.e. getting as many gifts as possible. Last year I asked for a Tassimo coffeemaker. Next year I'll probably ask for a vacuum or something similarly lame.

So, what are you asking for for Christmas? Do you have an e-reader? If so, what do you think of it? What are your thoughts on e-books vs. paper books?

Happy Haulidays, all! Only one week away (as hard as it is to believe).

1 comments:

Tasha said...

I'm all about paper books! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind technology. I find it useful - in a good way. Like science. But there are some things about it that I do not agree with.

Hence the e-readers. I love holding, feeling and smelling books. (not in a weird way) but there is something about books.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading!